Translate

Tuesday 7 July 2015

Shoulder Strength & Conditoning/Rehab Session by Andrew Richardson


Shoulder Rehab for ABS Powerlifting Team

By Andrew Richardson

I am currently interning at ABS Gym Glasnevin in Dublin for the month of July. I was asked to put together a video and article for strengthening the shoulder joint/scapula and all rotator cuff muscles. Please watch the video in the article as it goes through the article.

Video:


Warm Up

·         Wall ball (spell alphabet 4 times on each shoulder)

·         Wooden Pole front raises/dislocates (20 reps)

·         1-2kg dumbbells side, front, overhead (alternate grips) x 15 reps so 45 reps each grip

·         Scap shrugs on all 4 fours 20 times

·         4 prone position x 5 times for 30 seconds

·         Wall crawls with hand x3 each arm

Main Workout

·         RRPL (Row, Rotation, Press and Lower) start light 5 sets of 10 reps add 2.5kg each week if not stay same week slow the temp down.

·         Floor Press (neutral grip) using dumbbells ( with a pause) 5 sets of 10 reps

·         Face Pulls 4 sets of 12 reps

·         Seated Shoulder Press Single arm 3 sets of 12 reps

·         Lat Pulldown reverse grip 3 sets of 12 reps

·         External Rotation 3 sets of 15 reps (use both hands if need be) use cables

·         Banded Pull-Aparts 3 sets of 25 reps (supinated grip)

Cool Down

·         Wall ball (spell alphabet 3 times on each shoulder)

·         Proprioception work


To do every day e.g. morning and night

·         Y’s and T’s

·         External Rotation

·         Internal Rotation

·         Get a hockey ball and spell the alphabet palm open

·         Lie on bed (see article and do side raise variations with a water bottle something light)







Video on all the above



For more information please refer to the articles below which describe the shoulder in more detail;







Andrew Richardson, Founder of Strength is Never a Weakness Blog





















I have a BSc (Hons) in Applied Sport Science and a Merit in my MSc in Sport and Exercise Science and I passed my PGCE at Teesside University. 
Now I will be commencing my PhD into "Investigating Sedentary Lifestyles of the Tees Valley" this October 2019. 

I am employed by Teesside University Sport and WellBeing Department as a PT/Fitness Instructor.  


My long term goal is to become a Sport Science and/or Sport and Exercise Lecturer. I am also keen to contribute to academia via continued research in a quest for new knowledge.


My most recent publications: 


My passion is for Sport Science which has led to additional interests incorporating Sports Psychology, Body Dysmorphia, AAS, Doping and Strength and Conditioning. 
Within these respective fields, I have a passion for Strength Training, Fitness Testing, Periodisation and Tapering. 
I write for numerous websites across the UK and Ireland including my own blog Strength is Never a Weakness. 
























I had my own business for providing training plans for teams and athletes. 
I was one of the Irish National Coaches for Powerlifting, and have attained two 3rd places at the first World University Championships, 
in Belarus in July 2016.Feel free to email me or call me as I am always looking for the next challenge. 



Contact details below; 

Facebook: Andrew Richardson (search for)

Facebook Page: @StrengthisNeveraWeakness

Twitter: @arichie17 

Instagram: @arichiepowerlifting

Snapchat: @andypowerlifter 

Email: a.s.richardson@tees.ac.uk

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-richardson-b0039278 


No comments:

Post a Comment