Translate

Sunday 5 July 2015

Strength Training: For Hammer Throwing V Powerlifitng by Scott Thompson former GB International Hammer Thrower.


Scott practising the Hammer Throw
I have been asked to write an article by my good friend Andrew Richardson for his blog. The subject to show the differences between how I trained when I was a Great Britain International hammer thrower, and how I train now as a powerlifter.

A bit of background first. I represented Great Britain at hammer throwing when I was 18. I was training 6 times per week, how that was comprised varied depending upon the time of year and whether we were peaking for a major championship or not. I was regarded as very strong amongst hammer throwers of my age and size. In the gym my 1RM’s were as follows.

Squat 280kg/Deadlift 280kg/Snatch 125kg/Clean and Jerk 145kg at a bodyweight of 95kg.

Outside of the gym other notable statistics were.

30m sprint 3.79seconds/standing longjump 2.95m/Overhead Shot putt 18.96m

Shot Putt 14.75m/Discus 42.74/Hammer 60.62m

Its fair to say that whilst I train very hard for powerlifting, training for hammer throwing was much more intense. It was more all encompassing. Whilst powerlifting is in my opinion the single greatest test of pure strength, hammer throwing required many different attributes, chiefly, speed, timing, rhythm, technical ability and power. Anyone who has competed in or trained for a power based sport will be well aware that one of the basic principles of increasing power output is to increase base strength. With that in mind, the weight training we did was a mixture of powerlifting and weightlifting with a whole host of weird and wonderful assistance lifting thrown into the mix for event specific strength.

I won’t go into peaking cycles and variations as I would be here all week. What I will do is present a standard 4 phase cycle that we would work from and this is what would be adjusted in order to achieve a peak performance at a given competition. One of the main differences between powerlifting and athletics is the season. In athletics the season pretty much lasts 4 to 4 ½ months (Mid April-End August). Powerlifting presents a different challenge in that competitions are spread throughout the year meaning a number of peaking cycles would be needed often quite close together.

The other big differences between the training for both sports are as follows.

Need for Speed. Hammer throwing is a very fast and dynamic event. The basic laws of physics dictate that the faster your hammer head speed at the greatest radius will result in the greatest distances thrown. In powerlifting however, there is no requirement for speed. There are no extra marks for completing the lift quickly.

Power. To achieve increased speed in the hammer circle you have to generate more power. As you increase that power output the centripetal forces on the body increase. To be able to handle these increased forces requires greater base strength. Ironically powerlifting is curiously misnamed. Power is not the primary requirement of powerlifting. Gross strength is.

Training variation. I’m a big believer that to get better at powerlifting, you should powerlift. Yes there will be carry over from other activity but predominantly a better squat will come from squatting. With hammer throwing, you will improve simply by throwing as that will improve technique, timing, rhythm and so on, but that improvement will very quickly reach a plateau unless you incorporate other training methods.

So what did a standard training year look like in hammer throwing terms?

When the season finished at the end of August we would have a month of active rest. This could mean a months of different sports played recreationally, things like badminton, rugby, squash, swimming etc. Basically anything that kept the body active but was a complete departure from our regular training. October heralded the start of winter training. The first 2 months revolved largely around basic conditioning work. A typical week would look something like this

Monday/Wednesday/ Weights                                All at 60-70%1RM 5x8

Squat/Snatch/C&J/Deadlift/Military Press/Squat Stepup

Tuesday/Thursday Circuits          30 seconds per station, 15 stations x5 completed circuits

Pressup/Situp/Shuttle run/Bench straddle jumps/Burpees/Back Hyperextension/leg raises/Russian twist/high box jumps/Med ball overhead throws/med ball football throws/med ball hammer deliveries/med ball discus/med ball push pass/bear walks

Friday Rest

Saturday Throwing drills and track work (200m at 70% speed x 10 with walk back recovery x3 sets)

Sunday Throwing up to 50 throws with standard weight hammer.

At the beginning of December we would move into a gross strength phase. Circuits were ditched from training. They were replaced with lots of throwing heavy implements. Throwing sessions comprised of throwing overweight hammers. Typically training would look like this.

Monday Weights             5x3@90%1RM

Squat/Snatch/C&J/Deadlift/Military Press

Tuesday/Thursday Heavy Implement Throws    All x20

56lb for height/56lb for distance/56lb hammer deliveries to each side

Wednesday Weights     10x1@95%1RM

Squat/Snatch/C&J/Deadlift/Military Press

Friday Rest

Saturday Throwing Drills

Sunday Heavy Implement Throws (9kg and 10kg Hammers)


This phase lasted until the end of January, before moving into a power phase which would take us up to the end of March. For power acquisition sprints and plyometric exercises were introduced, hammer throwing sessions returned to standard weight implements (7.26kg Hammer) and one session of weights was reduced in intensity. It would generally comprise the following.

Monday Weights             3x5@80%1RM

Squat/Snatch/Powercleans/Deadlift/Jump Squat

Tuesday Plyometrics

3ft Hurdle bounds (3 hurdles)/Standing Longjump 3x6/Standing triple jump 3x6/30m sprints (walkback recovery) 3x6

Wednesday Weights     5x3@90%1RM

Squat/Snatch/C&J/Deadlift/Military Press

Thursday Plyometrics

High Hurdle Bound 3’6” x20 singles/Depth Jumps x20 singles/30m sprints/Med Ball catchpass (start the action of throwing back with a chest push as you catch it from being thrown at you) 3x10/Med ball twisting catchpass 3x10

Friday Rest

Saturday/Sunday Throwing x40 throws standard implement.

In the middle and end of this phase we would complete a test quadrathlon. This is a simple test of power output. It involves four events (30m sprint/Standing Longjump/Standing 3long jumps/overhead shot putt) standardised score sheets were used and your performance in each discipline was recorded for each of 3 attempts and the best effort converted into a points score. This gave an easy reference point to see how you were improving in terms of power output. There were ranking lists of athletes from all events in Britain and it was interesting to note that throwing athletes were often the highest performing in this test.



With the first competitions of the season now rapidly approaching we would introduce a speed phase. This would last up to a month. It was fundamentally aimed at sharpening up and improving timing at higher rotational speeds. Weights remained at 2 sessions per week but reverted to lighter loads and moderate reps with the emphasis on performing each repetition as fast as possible. Plyometrics and sprints were retained and underweight hammers were incorporated into throwing sessions. Standard weight hammers were also used but the light implements started and finished each session. It would look like this.

Monday/Wednesday Weights  5x5@75-80%

Squat/Snatch/Powerclean/Deadlift/High Pulls

Tuesday Plyometrics

3ft Hurdle bounds (3 hurdles)x5/Standing Longjump 3x3/Standing triple jump 3x3/30m sprints (walkback recovery) 3x5

Thursday Plyometrics

High Hurdle Bound 3’6” x10 singles/Depth Jumps x10 singles/30m sprints 3x5/Med Ball catchpass 3x5/Med ball twisting catchpass 3x5

Friday Rest

Saturday Throwing          x10@5kg Hammer          x20 7.26kg Hammer        x10 5kg Hammer

Sunday Throwing             x10@4kg Hammer          x20@7.26kg Hammer    x10@5kg Hammer

Following this phase we would move into a maintenance phase. Sessions dropped to 5x per week or 4 if I was competing on a weekend. The competition being regarded as the 5th session. Maintenance largely reverted back to the power phase. The only difference being one of the plyometrics sessions was dropped in favour of a further throwing session but 30metre sprints and 10metre sprint starts would complete that throwing session. On approach to a major competition of which there were really maybe 2 in a season. We would incorporate some more speed work in the two weeks leading up to it. This would carry on through to the end of the season and once more break during September for active rest.

There were a number of variations within the training I have outlined above, things such as circuit training sessions could be mixed up to include less stations but performed in given rep ranges. Its worth mentioning that crossfitters will be familiar with the rep range 21/15/9. Not wanting to upset anyone but this is not a new invention. We regularly performed this rep range as far back as 1989.

When it comes to powerlifting, I have to be completely honest and say that I incorporate no speed specific work in my programmes. I see no real need for it. Instead I work on performing each lift at the same speed, whether it is higher volume conditioning work or higher intensity strength acquisition training. It is my belief that performing every lift at the same tempo has greater relevance. I feel that the body responds better to maintaining that one familiar aspect of the lift when the weight being lifted is variable.

2 years ago when I started my powerlifting journey I tested my 1RM’s and they were frankly pitiful (when considering what I had lifted in my youth). Squat 150kg, bench press 90kg and Deadlift 170kg at a bodyweight of 119kg. I hadn’t set foot in a weights room for almost 18 years so I really shouldn’t have been surprised by this but I was. My first programme was to embark on a basic 5x5 linear progression programme. This worked very well and 6 months later my 1RM’s stood at Squat 215kg Bench Press 130kg and Deadlift 235kg (a bit more respectable). I then tried a number of programmes such as The Cube, 5,3,1 etc. These had very little impact on my 1RM’s and whilst squat and bench press were ticking over I tried out Smolov Jr for deadlifts. I was advised this was not a particularly smart idea for deadlifts but being the stubborn sort I went ahead. 3 weeks later, 717 reps and 115,000kgs total load lifted I was a broken man. I needed 2 weeks rest to recover but my Deadlift 1RM had increased to 275kg a frankly ridiculous increase. Following this I suffered a degenerative shoulder problem that required surgery. This sidelined me for 6 months in total. I was able to get back in the gym and really only Deadlift. Decreased shoulder mobility hampered getting under the bar on squat and atrophy of my shoulder meant bench press was back to 60kg. As a result of this I elected to concentrate on Deadlift and competing in Deadlift only competitions within the WDFPF. Earlier this month I won the WDFPF world singlelifts world championships for Deadlift in the M1 145kg Class with a world record lift of 280kg. I have now started to concentrate on full power. I firmly believe my neglect of squats has slowed my progress on Deadlift. My bench is back up to 120kg squat stands at 200kg and Deadlift 280kg as stated.

One of the main problems I have had slowing my progression is the fact that since getting back to training following my surgery I have had to run peaking cycles repeatedly as there has not been enough time in between competitions to schedule any other type of cycle and expect to perform well in competition. Now that World champs has passes I have a good amount of time to build some good strength gains before my next peaking cycle. I have elected to break this up into 2 phases. A base or conditioning phase lasting 4 weeks followed by a strength acquisition phase of 8 weeks. Following this I will then go into a 7 week peaking cycle up to YNE Masters in November. I have outlined these phases below.

Base/Conditioning          
Main lifts all 5x8@65%1RM Assistance 5x8 (failure would occur on 9th rep)

Monday Squat and assistance

Tuesday Bench and assistance

Wednesday Assistance work (Kettlebell complex and HIIT)

Thursday Bench and Assistance (this bench session is ultrahigh volume 100 reps at a given weight in as few sets as possible).

Friday Deadlift and assistance

Saturday/Sunday Rest

One thing I’ve become acutely aware of in the 2 years since starting powerlifting is how much recovery I need between different types of session. I can only squat and Deadlift once a week each, bench however I can do twice a week and still make progress. Regarding assistance lifts, I concentrate on exercises relevant to the main lift of that particular session. I will typically include 6 assistance lifts per session and always finish a session with a core based movement.



Once the base phase is complete I move into the strength acquisition phase. This will last 8 weeks and as it progresses, reps drop as percentages increase but number of sets remains unchanged, The layout will remain the same with squats, bench and Deadlift on the same days as the base phase. Assistance lifts will remain the same and always working to failure on the plus1 rep, so it will look like this.

Week 1                 Main Lifts 5x5@80%        Assistance 6x6

Week 2                 Main lifts 5x5@80%         Assistance 6x6

Week 3                 Main lifts 5x5@85%         Assistance 6x6

Week 4                 Main lifts 5x5@85%         Assistance 6x6

Week 5                 Main lifts 5x3@90%         Assistance 6x6

Week 6                 Main lifts 5x3@90%         Assistance 6x6

Week 7                 Main lifts 5x2@95%         Assistance 6x6

Week 8                 Main lifts 5x2@95%         Assistance 6x6

Following this I will be lifting at the European single lifts championship in Italy. This gives a nice deload following this phase before I move into a pure peaking cycle. The peaking cycle starts with relatively low loads and moderate volume but ramps up as the competition approaches so by the final week I will be working up to one set of a heavy double on each lift.

As I mentioned at the beginning. The type of training I undertook for athletics was in my view much more intense, but then I feel it had to be given all of the elements that were required to be brought together for optimum performance. Whereas today I train powerlifting purely for powerlifting, as a hammer thrower, powerlifting was a small but vitally important aspect of a broader training system. Its interesting to note that with the exception of Deadlift, my strength levels today haven’t yet approached the levels I was at back then (bench press doesn’t count as we never trained it). But I have to accept Iam older and cannot train the same way and expect to recover.

I know a number of lifters who incorporate speed training into their schedules, and this can be beneficial in some cases. Possibly to help break through a plateau by increasing speed in a given part of a lift meaning you are past a sticking point before it sticks. I reserve judgement on that, however I will say that introducing speed and power based training into a powerlifting programme would not in my view be detrimental in any way. I can only comment on my own experience and it doesn’t benefit my lifts to the same extent as consistent tempo at any load does.

So to summarise, both methods of training would appear to be equally effective in gaining gross strength if you can gloss over the obvious age difference between times each system was employed. Other factors that must be considered are physical condition. I was all round much fitter and capable of undertaking a wider variety of sports with ease during my athletics days. I played rugby to a good standard, cricket, Brazilian jiu jitsu among others. Nowadays my training being very powerlifting specific means I am much less dynamic and would fair much worse if I was to attempt the sports I have just mentioned. It is my assertion that the development of power and speed will enable someone to be more effective at a range of sports/activities but not necessarily powerlifting specifically. However, one of the great benefits of powerlifting is the acquisition of gross strength, it is much easier to build up a level of power when you have a developed strength base than it is when you are weak. So it’s reasonable to assume that if I was to alter my training to include more dynamic movements and speed phases my power output would increase fairly rapidly.

Scott Thompson

Thank you Scott for an enjoyable read






Andrew Richardson, Founder of Strength is Never a Weakness Blog





















I have a BSc (Hons) in Applied Sport Science and a Merit in my MSc in Sport and Exercise Science and I passed my PGCE at Teesside University. 
Now I will be commencing my PhD into "Investigating Sedentary Lifestyles of the Tees Valley" this October 2019. 

I am employed by Teesside University Sport and WellBeing Department as a PT/Fitness Instructor.  


My long term goal is to become a Sport Science and/or Sport and Exercise Lecturer. I am also keen to contribute to academia via continued research in a quest for new knowledge.


My most recent publications: 


My passion is for Sport Science which has led to additional interests incorporating Sports Psychology, Body Dysmorphia, AAS, Doping and Strength and Conditioning. 
Within these respective fields, I have a passion for Strength Training, Fitness Testing, Periodisation and Tapering. 
I write for numerous websites across the UK and Ireland including my own blog Strength is Never a Weakness. 
























I had my own business for providing training plans for teams and athletes. 
I was one of the Irish National Coaches for Powerlifting, and have attained two 3rd places at the first World University Championships, 
in Belarus in July 2016.Feel free to email me or call me as I am always looking for the next challenge. 



Contact details below; 

Facebook: Andrew Richardson (search for)

Facebook Page: @StrengthisNeveraWeakness

Twitter: @arichie17 

Instagram: @arichiepowerlifting

Snapchat: @andypowerlifter 

Email: a.s.richardson@tees.ac.uk

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-richardson-b0039278 


No comments:

Post a Comment