Translate

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Smolov Junior Squat Programme Review: 14 Points You Need to Know

Smolov Jnr: 14 Things you need to know
By Andrew Richardson


Smolov was created by Sergey Smolov “the Russian Master of Sports” and was primarily used for junior soviet weightlifters to increase their muscles mass and strength when perfecting their snatch and clean and jerk movements. It is still used today and further popularised through the sport of powerlifting. 3 weeks before my universities own meet I ran this method which was very successful.

I am going to explain what it was like doing Smolov to prepare those who wish to tackle the infamous squatting routine.

The Jnr 3 Week Cycle

The Jnr looks like this; Squatting 4 days a week. The reps decrease as the week goes on but the sets increase as well as the weight lifted. This cycle below was calculated using http://joshmahony.com/weights/smolov_jr.php . You are lifting between 70-88% of your 1RM over the 3 week period.

Looks like this over a week.

Week 1 It is based off your max with a 2.5-5kg increment each week.

Day
Sets
Reps
Weight
Monday
6
6
70%
Wednesday
7
5
75%
Friday
8
4
80%
Saturday
10
3
85%


Each week add 2.5kg-5kg as shown below

Week 2

Day
Sets
Reps
Weight
Monday
6
6
70%+10-20 lbs
Wednesday
7
5
75%+10-20 lbs
Friday
8
4
80%+10-20 lbs
Saturday
10
3
85%+10-20 lbs

Same as week 2 add another 2.5-5kg as shown below

Week 3

Day
Sets
Reps
Weight
Monday
6
6
70%+15-25 lbs
Wednesday
7
5
75%+15-25 lbs
Friday
8
4
80%+15-25 lbs
Saturday
10
3
85%+15-25 lbs

Tables created by Seriouspowerlifting.com

Each week you are doing over 130 reps over 70% of your 1RM. That’s a lot of volume and intensity on your body. The body however is good at adapting to new stressors. This is how my Smolov Jnr went (weights in kg)

Smolov Junior Based off 205kg squat 1RM Max

Week 1: It was just a shock to the body very sore and fatigued from the training as I had never done anything like it before. I was worried that this would carry over to the final two weeks. I felt strong when lifting the weights but besides that I was tired. So what I did was up the sleep, protein and carb intake.

Week 2: The muscle soreness was virtually gone just sore around the joints nothing serious or worrying. Once I warmed up I was grand. Felt my strength had increased and my technique had improved ten-fold. Was surprised at how quickly the adaptation’s had taken place since all sports books state never train the same muscle group between 24-48 hours after training. Russians go against that rule.

Week 3: My confidence was at an all-time high for squats. All weights felt light and my form felt indestructible. Only wore the belt for the 10X3 sessions each week. Was able to gauge my own depth without second guessing myself if it was a high lift or not. My “bounce” out of the hole was timed really well. I was happy to see the end of the 3 weeks to get much needed rest. The last session of 10x3 of 180kg I felt I could of done 8-10 fresh it was that good.

Week 4 (test week): After 5 days rest the joints and muscle soreness had gone. It was weird as I really wanted to squat but I gave myself a minimum of 5 days without leg training. When I reattempted my maxes as below everything felt really light nothing felt heavy. Doing single reps was a gift from God haha.
Below is the load over the 3 weeks I completed. The x axis is the weights lofted in kg and the y axis is each day over each week. Day 1 is the 6x6 sessions, Day 2 is 7x5 sessions, Day 3 is 8x4 session and Day 4 is 10x3 sessions. 


Here is how I attempted my new maxes.
20kg (bar) – 10 reps
60kg – 10 reps
100kg – 8 reps
140kg – 4 reps
160kg – 1 rep
180kg – 1 rep
200kg – 1 rep
210kg – 1 rep PB
220kg – 1 rep PB
227.5kg – 1 rep PB
Video link of the final lift http://vimeo.com/95034348

Overall thrilled with the lifts I obtained, we (Teesside Barbarians Powerlifting Club) used the strength calculator exrx to work out my predicted 1RM which was 220kg. I have just finished my 5x5 for all 3 of the power lifts, taking a deload week then starting smolov jnr again. I will improve but not to the same extent as I did the first time round running it. Even if I get half the improvement I will be so happy!! A closer step towards the 250kg squat. Here is my new Smolov jnr routine:


I will doing this programme next week in the build up to the WDFPF 4 Nations Powerlifting event where I will be representing Ireland. 

I have created a list of 14 points for those about to attempt this programme so they can prepare themselves physically and mentally before this programme. I hope you find them useful.


My 14 Points before undertaking Smolov Jnr

1/ Have over a double bodyweight squat before attempting it. This programme isn’t aimed at beginner lifter’s, you need a good few years at the gym doing hard training before attempting this. If one link in your armour is weak Smolov will crash and burn you to the ground.

2/ Have a solid form. Technique is key especially when you are fatigued and you will be fatigued doing smolov. Making sure every rep is 100% perfect will not only allow you to gain maximum physiologically adaptations but prevent injury.

3/ Don’t attempt any weight cuts during it. You won’t last I increased in weight by a couple of kilos (of muscle), was even more hungry than normal. If you do attempt a cut its stupid and it will bite you in the ass. Trust me not worth it.

4/ No injures going into the training programme. It’s an easy one to say but if you have a slight strain or pull in your quad or glute Smolov will make it worse due to the volume and intensity of the training. Rest up and heal before undertaking Smolov.

5/ Eat as much as you can. Milk was my weapon in this programme. Not so much eating but consuming calories any means necessary. I was drinking 20 pints a week and it helped with my recovery and to meet my dietary requirements.

6/ Sleep more. Sleep is key for any athlete to promote recovery and even more so for this one. Take power naps if you can they will make the training easier as you are recovering more.

7/ Go as low as you can go (preferably ass to grass). The lower you go in the squats the more muscle fibres you will activate and it is better for the knees. The deeper the squat the more physiological adaptations you will gain out of it. Don’t cheat yourself out by doing high squats. 


8/ Longer warm ups and rest periods. When doing strength training it’s not how fast you do the training its doing it correctly. I take as much rest as I need until I feel physically and mentally ready for the lift. I increased the length of my warm up as squats were the only exercise for legs I was doing so I ensured I wouldn’t get injured doing them.

9/  Have a training partner who is will do this programme with you. This is probably the most crucial point, having someone to share the journey with is key to keeping your sanity in this programme. I had a training partner for my first wave of Smolov and we both agreed if we didn’t have each other for it we would of gave up and stopped halfway through. There was days when we didn’t want to train but we couldn’t let each other down so we kept doing it. 

10/ Don’t worry about the DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) worry about your joints. Stock up on the cod liver oil and the multivitamins. Keep your body in check your joints will hurt the most due to the repetitive nature of the programme. When I say hurt I’m not saying they are in agony but the tendons will sometimes inflame due to the volume of training. 

11/ Don’t be afraid to take an extra day of rest during the programme. If you need an extra rest day take it. You won’t lose any progression in fact the rest will probably help you out in the long run as you have an extra 24 hours to recover. Don’t feel pressured to do the programme as it stands. I took 2 extra rest days in Smolov Jnr and I felt better for it.

12/ Only use the belt for 10X3 days. I only used my belt for the last session of each week. Again same as the knee sleeves we tried this on previous programmes and the belt didn’t give much help. It was more of a psychological aid to feel happier when lifting as you have a belt. My core has never felt stronger doing squats without a belt. In previous programmes I have relied too much on my belt but for Smolov I made the choice to not use it and I gained a lot more core stability from that.

13/ Don’t be afraid to use Knee Sleeves. I did some experimentation during the programme. I used knee sleeves on some sessions and others without. Personally I didn’t feel as if they helped me lift the weight any faster but what they did which I liked they kept my knees warm. My knees felt great wearing them as all the tendons, ligaments and supporting muscles were warmed up well.

14/ Get some bigger trousers. My thighs went from 25/26 to 27/28 inches in size over the 3 weeks. It is a great programme to get bigger quads but at a cost. Most jeans I own do not fit anymore and I can only wear sweats and tracksuit bottoms hahah. This hypertrophy gain is due to the sheer volume of the programme.









Andrew Richardson, Founder of Strength is Never a Weakness Blog





















I have a BSc (Hons) in Applied Sport Science and a Merit in my MSc in Sport and Exercise Science and I passed my PGCE at Teesside University. 
Now I will be commencing my PhD into "Investigating Sedentary Lifestyles of the Tees Valley" this October 2019. 

I am employed by Teesside University Sport and WellBeing Department as a PT/Fitness Instructor.  


My long term goal is to become a Sport Science and/or Sport and Exercise Lecturer. I am also keen to contribute to academia via continued research in a quest for new knowledge.


My most recent publications: 


My passion is for Sport Science which has led to additional interests incorporating Sports Psychology, Body Dysmorphia, AAS, Doping and Strength and Conditioning. 
Within these respective fields, I have a passion for Strength Training, Fitness Testing, Periodisation and Tapering. 
I write for numerous websites across the UK and Ireland including my own blog Strength is Never a Weakness. 
























I had my own business for providing training plans for teams and athletes. 
I was one of the Irish National Coaches for Powerlifting, and have attained two 3rd places at the first World University Championships, 
in Belarus in July 2016.Feel free to email me or call me as I am always looking for the next challenge. 



Contact details below; 

Facebook: Andrew Richardson (search for)

Facebook Page: @StrengthisNeveraWeakness

Twitter: @arichie17 

Instagram: @arichiepowerlifting

Snapchat: @andypowerlifter 

Email: a.s.richardson@tees.ac.uk

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-richardson-b0039278 



I wish everyone the best of luck attempting this routine and have more respect for those who do the 13 week one. Think we should make T-shirts and hand them out when one completes a wave of Smolov for squats? Haha 






No comments:

Post a Comment