Translate

Tuesday 22 July 2014

Overcoming Injury and Preventing Injury

Injured....

That word which no athlete wants to hear. For the most part being injured comes from doing something externally controlled ratter than internally controlled.

Meaning you didn't have the control to stop it e.g breaking your leg skiing due to another skiing crashing into
You when you had stopped. We (for the most part) can control what is happening around us (internal control) such as preventing a muscle pull by doing a good warm up and performing the correct technique.

Athletes or anyone for that matter if an injury does happen it should only happen if its the following:

 It was a random occurrence  e.g I dropped a 20kg plate on my toe as I wasn't paying attention when loading the bar.




People make mistakes we are human but it's when people do stupid stuff then they will get injured. Such as:

- Performing the wrong technique week in week out

- Not following a programme

- Trying to max out every week and not letting their body rest/recover through adequate rest days or Deload periods.

- Not warning up or cooling down

- Training through an injury which hasn't recovered fully

- Eating the wrong foods/Eating poorly can affect your immune system which can lead to sickness then injuries.

So if you are like me you have been injured many times and recovered from them all. I often ask myself how did I get injured and for the most part (thankfully) my injures where externally controlled. I used to play rugby and being a contact sport injury was inevitable I broke my leg and dislocated shoulder.

All the muscle pulls/strains I have done previous where due not warming up. I have learned that now in hindsight.

Now I am a powerlifter and I have only injured myself once in the 2 years I have lifted (Minor pull doing German Volume Training). I wanted to put more muscle mass and in the process pulled my lat due to over exertion. Technique went out the window. Stupid error.

As the saying goes "We learn from our mistakes".

Hopefully for those reading your mistakes are only a handful not many.

So let's say you are injured 10-12 weeks out. You will feel annoyed, disheartened, sad etc. I have been there many of times and each time is just the same feeling of "Why me?"

I have come back from all my injures and so can you if you do the following.

- Stay Positive don't let the injury get you in dumps. You can come back from any injury only if you have the mindset. Being injured just takes time to recover from. Your mind is your ally you will recover quicker of you believe you can.

- Being Injured use it as an opportunity. By this I mean if you have injured your upper body work on your lower body make a weakness a strength during the time period of recovery for your injury. Don't sit idle.

- Try many rehab methods. Some people respond better to different methods of recovery. Get deep tissue massages from a sports therapist, acupuncture, yoga and Pilates etc. All great methods for improving your health by de stressing yourself removing knots and bumps in your muscles.

- Drink lots of water. May sound silly bit good body is made up of it (70% to be precise). When you are dehydrated you lose concentration and are more likely to make errors. Being hydrated you won't make these errors. Errors lead to injury.

- Talk to someone who has had a similar injury to you. This can give you an insight on their road to recovery and what they did.

- Get a Physio to create rehabilitation programme for you. This will be your quickest way to getting back to full fitness as this is their area of expertise.

- When you aren't training don't get your body into awkward/uncomfortable positions. As this will cause you to pull something.

-Lift with your legs not with your back is self explanatory.

- Keep warm when training, wear appropriate clothing when training to keep your muscles warm. Preventing injuries is very easy by staying warm.

- Last but not least warm up and cool down.

I hope the points I have provided will help you out in the future.


Guys I have my own Facebook Page where I put up my training videos and other educational posts. Give it a like, share




Andrew Richardson, Founder of Strength is Never a Weakness Blog





















I have a BSc (Hons) in Applied Sport Science and a Merit in my MSc in Sport and Exercise Science and I passed my PGCE at Teesside University. 
Now I will be commencing my PhD into "Investigating Sedentary Lifestyles of the Tees Valley" this October 2019. 

I am employed by Teesside University Sport and WellBeing Department as a PT/Fitness Instructor.  


My long term goal is to become a Sport Science and/or Sport and Exercise Lecturer. I am also keen to contribute to academia via continued research in a quest for new knowledge.


My most recent publications: 


My passion is for Sport Science which has led to additional interests incorporating Sports Psychology, Body Dysmorphia, AAS, Doping and Strength and Conditioning. 
Within these respective fields, I have a passion for Strength Training, Fitness Testing, Periodisation and Tapering. 
I write for numerous websites across the UK and Ireland including my own blog Strength is Never a Weakness. 
























I had my own business for providing training plans for teams and athletes. 
I was one of the Irish National Coaches for Powerlifting, and have attained two 3rd places at the first World University Championships, 
in Belarus in July 2016.Feel free to email me or call me as I am always looking for the next challenge. 



Contact details below; 

Facebook: Andrew Richardson (search for)

Facebook Page: @StrengthisNeveraWeakness

Twitter: @arichie17 

Instagram: @arichiepowerlifting

Snapchat: @andypowerlifter 

Email: a.s.richardson@tees.ac.uk

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-richardson-b0039278 


No comments:

Post a Comment